Sunday, October 31, 2010

Teacher by intuition

This is an account of my first day as a trainee teacher in a Nursery Classroom. My first experience with a group of children, my first experience as a teacher. I was not a trained teacher and all I had learnt was through observing, reading and interacting with teachers and educators. Here I was in the Classroom with twenty five children and the group teacher............all of them were sitting down on the mats and it was their circle time. I had been asked to be there in the group as an observer for a couple of days. The group facilitator was holding a story book in her hands and narrating it to the little ones. Curious eyes were trying to get a glimpse of the colourful pictures. Those sitting in the front were able to see clearly ,while those at the back were unable to see the pictures. The mats had closely been placed next to each other,children too sat very close to each other. Eventually the ones who were unable to see the pictures started losing interest in the story and got distracted.
Sitting in a corner and observing the activities through the day,I kept on going back to the circle time.Well,yes....I could figure it out now.The sitting arrangement of the children on the mats had to be changed.I made my suggestion to the group teacher and we decided to do things differently the next day. The mats were separated from each other ,neatly folded and placed in the form of an unclosed rectangle. The teacher sat in the front again with a different story. All the children could see the pictures clearly and also maintain a direct eye contact with the teacher. They were enjoying the story and could comprehend it better.This arrangement worked better.
To be a teacher by intuition works better than being a teacher by intellect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment