Here I am, I have reached the classroom and and am waiting for my children to trickle in. I have fifteen minutes to myself before I hear the tapping of little feet , sounds of laughter and cheerful voices. I am taking this time to check my readiness for the day,write the day's schedule on the board and collect my energies to welcome my little ones.
As a teacher I have realised that my day with the children has been more meaningful and satisfying when I have been in the classroom to receive them. Children look for acknowledgement,comfort and security when they enter their classrooms. They have a lot to share ,express and ask. They want their teacher to be a part of their world of observations and discoveries. Aditya holds my hand and drags me towards the grass mound to see the anthills he has just discovered. I can observe Aliya trying to read the words displayed on the board,Varun picking up a book from the shelf and Anuja sitting quietly.
Being with the children is more important than being physically present for them. Am I there to receive my children in the morning? If yes,then:
- Do I warmly acknowledge every child?
- Do I listen to what children share/express/ask and observe their behaviour patterns?
- Do I observe something special that can substantiate my observations made of a child?
- Do I use this time to handle emotional needs of children?
- Do I take cues from them to take forward their sense of inquiry?
Reflecting on these points will help us bond and create relationships with all children in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment